Activities That Generate Results
When you’re in sales, you will know the kind of activities that bring in the results. Generally, they will be the ones that involve talking to both clients and prospective clients. To help you categorise your time into results generating and time-sucking activities, the following should help:
Results Generating Activity
- Cold calling
- Telephoning/emailing warm leads and booking them in for meetings
- Following up with prospective clients to close sales
- Contacting current clients to discuss potential new opportunities
- Meetings with both clients and prospective clients
Time-sucking And Non-Sales Related Activities
- Answering emails
- Preparing presentations
- Administrative work such as filing, updating a sales system, etc.
- Researching prospective clients
- Preparation of documents
- Team meetings
There will always be a need to carry out non-sales-related work as it is simply part of the job. It’s about recognising how you can limit the time spent on this work and maximise your time spent selling.
Tips To Help You Focus On Results Generating Activities
- Always have a plan. This will help you to avoid losing time procrastinating and to keep you focused and productive. If you are looking for some ways to plan your day more effectively, there is lots of advice available.
- Order your work in descending order of importance when it comes to generating results. This also means getting rid of tasks where you can that don’t bring you results. Where you can’t get rid of them completely, dedicate as little time to them as possible.
- Batch tasks together. Use your calendar to block out portions of time that can be spent on certain tasks. For example, you might batch together a time to send e-mails to prospective clients, time for research, and time for admin. This helps you to not spend too much time on any one thing.
- Outsource where you can. Certain aspects of sales, and any business for that matter, can benefit from being outsourced. Social media and email marketing for example can easily take a whole day to do. By hiring a marketing company to take over this work for you, you are recognising how important this is to acquiring leads for your business, while freeing up your time to do what you do best… sell.
Time is a finite resource. No matter how much we might wish it, there will never be more hours in the day. What we can change is how we use the time we have. By taking control of your time and switching your focus to spending time on activities that get you the results you want, you are almost guaranteed to improve your sales numbers. As a sales management professional, you understand the importance of leading your team in a way that gives them the tools they need to perform. The greatest tool you can give is the time to focus. If you do, you’re almost guaranteed results.